<

Wednesday, January 26, 2005

A Few Observations (a.k.a., Still Ranting)

You can always tell if a person is a member of the Cult of Bush by their words. Any time you see a politician or right-wing hack speaking in support of Bush on the news, they all seem to repeat the same words and phrases over and over and they all speak as though they share a singular mind, like the Borg (but without the intelligence). They hammer away at whatever their talking point for the day is, without ever answering the real questions. You do have to give them credit though, as they are quite good at manipulating American media by staying so consistently "on message." (even though the message is so consistently wrong, false, misleading, etc.)

There is one phrase which stands out in particular, as the Cult uses it relentlessly: "The President has said..." Any time they are asked to explain why Bush was so wrong about such things as WMD's and ties to Al Qaida, they dodge the question and say something like, "If you look at what the President has said, _____________"(and here you can insert whatever the party line is, such as, "the world is better off without Saddam Hussein in power, and he still says it was the right thing to do.").

And even though members of the Cult usually fail to answer the question that was asked, the mainstream press and cable news reports the story as: "The President has said that he believes the world is better off without Saddam in power, and he still believes that it was the right thing to do." The constant repetition of such phrases by the Cult infects mainstream media to the point that they repeat the phrase without even noticing that it was planted there.
"The President has said
The President has said
The President has said
The President has said
The President has said
The President has said
The President has said
The President has said..."
...ummmm, yeah, it's having a hypnotic effect on me...all of a sudden permanent tax cuts sound like a great idea, even though we are running massive deficits...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...Okay, so I had to get that out of my system. I usually try to switch it up from day to day so I'm not just ranting about politics constantly. I've kind of been in a winter funk, so it was either ranting about politics or whining about things in my life that I'm not happy about at the moment. I've decided that posting depressing pieces doesn't necessarily help me feel better when I'm down, and that trying to channel that negative energy into positive thoughts is far better for my well being.

Winter has been brutal here for the last couple of weeks. The chindchill has been hovering at -10°F to -20°F for a couple of weeks. We got two feet of snow Saturday night, then from last night to tonight we got about 8 inches more. I like this time of year, but it can be tough when the weather is this harsh. I think I just need to go skiing this weekend. Yes, that's the answer.


That's it for now, I need to clean my refrigerator out----especially the milk that expired on December 26th. Oops.

6 Comments:

Hah, good idea about the milk. And yes, the repitition of the Bush-followers is amazing. They rely on the same over-simplified message to ride them through an entire argument. So every time they're asked a question they spout out the same answer, kind of like a toy dog yapping over and over and over again...

By Blogger Hans the Destroyer, at 1:44 AM  

Have you tried to Bush drinking game? Freedom, terrorists etc all keywords. But I think you'd end up with liver failure almost as quickly as playing the Withnail & I drinking game

By Blogger Fence, at 10:21 AM  

hmmm...I'm not familiar with the Whitnail and I drinking game, but I just read about it here: http://www.studentmax.co.uk/drinking/drinking_games/show_game.php?GID=76 . It sounds kind of like a game people used to play with the "Bob Newhart Show" back in the 1980's. I wouldn't dare play any such game with Bush speeches, since he repeats himself so often that I'm sure I would get alcohol poisoning, and I don't consider getting my stomach pumped out to be very much fun.

Bush followers really do resemble a cult. I don't remember hearing anyone else use that analogy before I wrote it, but then I read a transcript of an interview with Seymour Hersch of the New Yorker where he refers to them as "cultists". Here is a link to the transcript with the actual video from the interview: http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=05/01/26/1450204 . It's a fairly powerful piece.

By Blogger Skrambled Egghead Reborn, at 12:20 PM  

Let's use the media! YEAH!

I wish I had the skillz to hack into the White House audio system to play the Imperial March from Star Wars right as the Prez began the State of the Union address.

Whada really be tha shit is if he ran with it and shouted out...Live from D.C. it's Saturday Night!

In some twisted respect that's what the last four years have become: a really bad comedy skit played out live and past its prime while the intelligent nation wonders when the sponsors are going get a clue and pull the plug.

By Blogger Seire, at 1:43 PM  

You are so right about the Darth Vader music. It especially works for Cheney.

I thought this was a pretty funny photoshopped comparison of Zell Miller to the Evil Emperor:

http://www.buzzflash.com/analysis/04/09/ana04017.html

By Blogger Skrambled Egghead Reborn, at 8:24 PM  

Nice! That was beautiful. *sniff*

By Blogger Seire, at 9:49 AM  

Post a Comment