<

Sunday, September 25, 2005

Image Thingy Isn't Working

I have pictures, and tales to tell, but goddamn blogger won't let me post pictures right now. I'll try Hello if I have to, because I have a ton of photos from today. I've had a great weekend. I won't even get into yesterday at the moment, because today was so amazing.

I woke up early, and just felt like I had to get out of the house. I was in the living room at around 7:30 am blasting music (I think it was the Shins, if I'm not mistaken). I had no idea that my roommate was home, and trying to sleep. She must have gotten home around 3am, and I was well passed out. She came flying out of the room screaming, "WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU?!?" I felt horrible. I thought she was staying with a friend for the night. I've never seen her so pissed off. At any rate, I bought her a twelve pack of beer and four-pack Recies (sp?!) peanut butter cups. Once she realized that I didn't know she was home, she relaxed a little, and then all was good.

After that, many cool things happened. I went fishing early in morning in New Castle, which is really just part of Portsmouth, but it is a world in itself. I was using clams for bait, but wasn't getting any bites. It was such a beautiful morning though, so I really didn't care if I caught anything or not. Then, something really cool happened.

Perhaps my clam bait drew him near, but as I looked fifteen feet to my left, at the mouth of a tidal stream, there was a huge harbor seal head sticking up out of the water. His head was a little smaller than a bowling ball, and he had those crazy wiskers. I was in awe of his presence. He suddenly rolled over and did a corkscrew, going deep underwater, and he popped up a short distance away. From being so close to him when he rolled, I'd say he was about 6 - 7 feet long. I later saw him hanging out with one of his buddies, but I couldn't get any good pics.

I'm going to try to post pictures of the seal, but it resembles one of those "loch ness monster" pictures, all blurry. My adrenaline was pumping, so it was hard to get a clear shot. I'll post one pic from a distance, and one zoomed in on him.

PS--Following this experience, I took a trip up to the White Mountains in search of a moose. When I first moved here I set a goal to see a seal and a moose in the same day (I think that was the goal, but the goal may really been to just have an opportunity to see either of these beautiful animals. I have many pics from the White Mountain trip, but I haven't even had a chance to look at those yet, so those pictures and that story will have to wait.

UPDATE:

PPS--Goddamn Hello is working either, so no pictures tonight. Many to come. . .

7 Comments:

That would be awesome to see a seal in the wild!

What were you trying to catch that made you use clams for bait?

By Blogger I'm not even supposed to be here today, at 11:55 PM  

I am jealous, you had such a great day, while mine was so boring I wanted to cry. I can hardly wait to see the pics.

Good question Rach, what were you trying to catch that clams were the bait for?

By Blogger nikaNnicosMommy, at 4:03 PM  

I'd love to have a roommate like you: drinks and candy because you played loud music? You're too sweet, that was real nice.

I can just imagine the adrenaline rush seeing the seal gave you: I probably would have freaked out and startled it away. Or I would have held my breath for too long and passed out.

By Blogger Arethusa, at 5:16 PM  

Rachael, it was soooo coool. And to answer the question posed by you and monica, bluefish and stripers. There are supposed to be tons of big fish around, at least according to this story. And Moni, the pics have officially arrived. :-)

Arethusa, to be honest, I did freak out a little bit, which was why I didn't get a good shot of him when he was close to me. I did get a good, close up look at him though. I was looking right as his huge, adorable, whiskery face.--PS--love the new profile pic. Though I must admit *ahem* that I the previous one was great too (mmmmm...fishnets...mmmm...;-).

By Blogger Skrambled Egghead Reborn, at 10:34 PM  

Ohhhhhh, they are so beautiful, this is why I need to get out more...hehe

Thanks for sharing!

Ummmm...just curious, is your sexy head still bald?! ;)

By Blogger nikaNnicosMommy, at 12:49 AM  

Yes indeed, Monika, and I look damn sexy
:-P

By Blogger Skrambled Egghead Reborn, at 10:46 AM  

Hell yeah...thanks for the mental pic...heh! ;)

By Blogger nikaNnicosMommy, at 5:21 PM  

Post a Comment