<

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Update

Okay, so I've decided that it's time for one of my few and far between blog posts. I'm sneaking this in while I'm at work. I have been pretty busy over the last several days and haven't had much time for blogging. I've been meaning to say thank you to the people who have recently linked to me (shubhodeep, shoes, and anyone else I'm forgetting). Links are always welcome, and I'm sorry that I'm currently in a mode of infrequent posting. When the time is right I should be able to start posting daily again (but I'm not making any promises).

Things continue to go well at the new job. I'm finally feeling comfortable here, and I feel like I've had the chance to prove myself useful on a few occasions. The class I'm taking is also going somewhat well, but I've fallen really far behind in my reading. We don't have any tests/quizes/homework/etc., so I don't have enough motivation to study before class. It doesn't really matter as long as I pass the license exam, but it looks like I'll be cramming for that.

At any rate, I am really glad I got this job when I did. I got it just before all the new college graduates had a chance to compete for the job at a lower wage, and just before another dismal jobs report from the US governement that showed yet another month of poor job growth (there were around 78,000 jobs created in May, while 150,000 is required just to keep pace with new workers entering the workforce). Here is a good article on what's been happening to the American Dream.

I have a theory that the repuglicans in power and their wealthy corporate sponsors want there to be a crappy job market. The slight loss of revenue caused by the unemployed being unable to spend money is offset by the fact that desperate job seekers are more likely to accept a lower paying job than they would in an economy with many well-paying jobs. So they can get smarter, better qualified employees for a lower cost. This might explain why profits at the executive level continue to grow. I don't have time to do the research right now, but I wouldn't be surprised to see that starting wages have fallen dramatically over the last few years.

That's all I have time for right now. I'd better get back to work before I get busted.

4 Comments:

We're just grateful for any update we can get. Glad to see you're enjoying the job!

By Blogger Arethusa, at 5:29 PM  

Sounds like you got to this job just in time. Nah, they'd have chosen you anyway if they had any sense. Besides... youngsters these days do WAY more blogging at work! =)

By Blogger LiVEwiRe, at 10:31 PM  

Thanks guys. I've been missing all of you too. It appears that I will have days at this job that are slow enough to get in some quality blogging, but I have no idea how often that will be.

By Blogger Skrambled Egghead Reborn, at 4:34 PM  

you know , do what you gotta do, i just hope that you don't go the way of the wind and poof completely -

as for the american dream thing, it's truely sad that now that the economy seems to be getting better, it's only improving really for those who weren't so bad off in the first place - for those of us promised that that graduating from college would bring all our dreams to fruition, competing with older people for entry jobs is difficult (the whole idea of needing three years experience for entry level jobs is ridiculous) - however, for someone with a family/house/car, competing with inexperienced college grads who may work for a lower wage at an entry level job must be frustrating as well as depressing.

I don't know what it is about you, skrambled, but you make me want to rant and rave and ramble in you comments section - sry

By Blogger mysfit, at 12:26 PM  

Post a Comment