<

Saturday, September 17, 2005

Quickie

No time, but three things I've seen today:
  • A huge deer in the driveway of my condo complex.

  • A minivan on the highway in Massachusetts with a bumper sticker that said: "Live Free, Be Naked", in huge letters. I pulled up next to it and saw a fat, naked guy driving it (well, shirtless at any rate, but we can only assume that he wasn't wearing pants either).

  • A gigantic coyote in my parent's backyard in CT. My grandmother was yelling, "Skram, there's a dog in the yard!" I came to look, and saw this huge carnivore right in the backyard. He looked like a huge German Shepherd, or a wolf, or something. I didn't think they got that big around here, but apparently they do. They run in packs, so I'm sure there are more of them around. Hope the neighbors bring their cats inside.

6 Comments:

I hope you aren't scarred for life from the 'van visual'... Interestingly, the problem with coyotes has been increasing here. They are coming in closer to the houses for food and our vet told us to keep Benny in because the coyotes have been grabbing cats. And yes, they are growing rather large. Saw one that looked (as you said) like a huge wolf or large shep). Gorgeous but creepy; especially when you hear them at night (and fox sound even worse). Last week I saw a deer that had it's tail basically skinned, most likely from a rear attack by something like a coyote. That bothered me so much. Nature is a brutal bitch - one dies so another may live. I'm sure you'll be safe if you don't sit out near the woods at night with a box full of fast food...

And I like your new profile pic - makes me laugh! Did I tell you I didn't have an email? Either way, have a great weekend! =)

By Blogger LiVEwiRe, at 5:05 PM  

Yeah, tell me about it. Coyote's aren't native to the northeast., see this link. The drawing in that link is exactly what I saw, but the one I saw was bigger. This fact sheet says that they get up to 42 pounds. I would put my guy at around 45 pounds, so he was on the big side for sure.

I ran right up to him though. I wasn't afraid, and he knew it. His ears perked up, he smiled, and then ran in the opposite direction. I was a truly magical moment.

By Blogger Skrambled Egghead Reborn, at 3:09 AM  

PS--I suspect that my coyote has eaten several neighborhood cats, or else he wouldn't be so freakin' huge.

By Blogger Skrambled Egghead Reborn, at 3:11 AM  

oh, and that second to last comment should have read " It was a truly magical moment.

By Blogger Skrambled Egghead Reborn, at 3:13 AM  

PPPS--Is it still called ass-munching when a coyote does it?
:=P

By Blogger Skrambled Egghead Reborn, at 3:31 AM  

I completely believe you about the size of it. The one I saw was huge as well. Definitely must've eaten a few neighborhood pets. Or a few neighbors for that matter. Wonder if I can select a few as offerings?... I wasn't afraid (of course I was in my car) but I might've been if I saw all those teeth. That's alotta teeth! =) Funny thing is that everyone freaks over them yet raccoons are feistier.

By Blogger LiVEwiRe, at 1:28 PM  

Post a Comment