<

Sunday, December 12, 2004

Mood Swings

The weather in New England is known to be ever-changing, and often extreme in its aspects. We have brutally cold and snowy winters, and sticky, disgustingly hot and humid summers. We also have days where the weather is just beautiful. The effect that the weather has on the disposition of the average New Englander is undeniable, especially in my case. My moods are in as much a state of constant flux as the weather itself.

In my last post you could probably tell that I was just about scraping bottom. I'm doing much better now and have reconciled some of the issues I was having the other day. Every so often I feel the need to completely lose my shit and fall into a pit of despondancy. While it isn't pleasant, such moments can lead to great insights into my life.

Things are never as dark as they seem during times of depression, but they also are rarely as good as they seem when things are going well. Such is life in the world of the skrambled one.

...more to come later...

2 Comments:

Weather definitely has a profound effect on mood. I can say this having lived in the drearily rainy part of this country since I was born. Heh, in the summer there's a couple months where it doesn't rain damn near every day, but other than that- it's a staple. Some people absolutely love it, others just get depressed- and I imagine those are the people who decide to move to California. You're lucky that you get snow though. I imagine it'd get annoying after a while, but it's so temperate here that we rarely get any snow at all- or if we do it doesn't stick and the rain just melts it away. Ever tried horseback riding in the snow? Now THAT is awesome, just fyi :)
Good thing you're feeling better, and wise words about moods as well.

By Blogger Hans the Destroyer, at 4:46 PM  

I spent a summer in Portland, OR when I was in college, so I was there for the nice two months of weather you're referring to (and the weather was, in fact, perfect the whole time). I don't know how I'd handle all the rain, though. I suppose I'd get used to it, seeing as it's such an amazing part of the world to be in.

As for the snow, the novelty wears off pretty quickly (it took me an hour and twenty minutes to get to work the other day during a snow and ice storm). Horseback riding in it does sound nice, though. It's easier to enjoy the winter here if you get out and do fun stuff like that (or skiing, or snowshoeing or whatever).

By Blogger Skrambled Egghead Reborn, at 8:17 PM  

Post a Comment