<

Wednesday, January 05, 2005

December 26, 2004

I was just watching 60 Minutes II. Dan Rather is reporting from areas devestated by the tsunami of December 26, 2004. It's still hard to understand how huge this truly is—in human history. According to the most recent reports, the estimate for the number of people killed is over 155,000.

As the images start coming in, the scope of the tragedy is becoming more clear. As a people, we've become dependent of such images to understand tragedies in the world. We've been conditioned by television and movies. The United States government has suppressed the media to keep images of the war in Iraq from the public for this very reason (this post isn't about that, so I'll stop there).

I don't like to admit that I couldn't begin to understand it until I saw some images, but it's true, and I'm sure it's true for people all over America and most of the world. An example: I just saw a video clip in the final segment of 60 Minutes which showed ten children clinging to a fence as the water raged. The wave took seven of them under and undoubtedly to their deaths. I saw them die.

My god. Holy fucking shit. That really affected me :-(. I think it's important that we all take a good look, with eyes wide open, even though it hurts...


Rather made a comment that in many areas, the only buildings to survive were mosques. I thought to myself, fanatics of various religions throughout the world will try to cite such things as proof it was a message from god, allah, jehovah, buddha, shiva, the big empty nothingness, etc. People will say the end is near.

Zealots in each group (except maybe buddhists) will twist their explanation to suit their own beliefs. Religion can help people cope with tragedy, and it's fine if the explanation is healthy. However, history has shown that such thinking often leads to more religious division, conflicts, and "holy" wars.

Instead of delving into such apocalyptic thinking, the best thing people can do in the coming days it to help where they can, and to do whatever can be done that might save more lives the next time something like this happens. The images of people trying to help the survivors are starting to come in too. I'm pretty sure Mr. Rogers first said it (or at least the first time I heard it), and it is cheesy, but you need to look for the helpers to find the good in the world. Right as always, neighbor.

...okay, I'm done for today...

1 Comments:

It's true what they say- a picture says a thousand words. The damage from the tsunami is incredible, and since it is so far away from us as a people- it's easy for one to just ignore the fact that there is human suffering going on elsewhere in the world. Ignorance is bliss, and a lot of Americans are blissful. We need more Americans who are globally aware to shake the "ignorant" label we've been given as a nation. And yes, hopefully the mosques surviving doesn't trigger some religious fanatics to go to any extreme explanations- religious fanatism isn't really a good thing in most cases that I've seen... Buddhism does fascinate me though, unfortunately I'm not very learned in their teachings.

By Blogger Hans the Destroyer, at 2:08 AM  

Post a Comment