<

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Mr. Egghead's World

A couple of days ago I posted some "spider" pictures below. Mysfit pointed out that one of the creatures (appearing in two of the pictures) only has six legs, which would mean that it isn't a spider. Now, I kind of think that I know a spider when I see one, and I was damn sure that this was a spider. However, spiders have eight legs and two body segments, whereas insects that have six legs and three body segments.

I checked out the other pictures that I took of this creature, and he has six legs in each. However, he does appear to have two body segments, just like spiders do. I've done some searching on the web, but I can't seem to figure out what this thing is. If anyone has a biology background, or if you're just bored and feel like doing some research, I would love you forever if you could identify this beast. Here is one picture, and here is the other.

Okay, that's it for now. I'm long overdue for a political rant, and there is oh so much to rant about, so I hope to return later with another post.

UPDATE: I'm thinking that it must be a spider, and maybe his legs are pressed together in all of my pictures. He might have tensed up from my friend scaring him before I took the picture. He could be a nursery spider. Check this out. And that guy was photographed only about 40 miles from where I saw mine.

UPDATE #2: Okay, here is another site. I think I have identified the beast as a nursery web spider. Damn I'm good.

3 Comments:

*shudders* Yes, I think you're right about the spiders, and not that I hate them or anything, but I must admit that I'm a pansy when it comes to arachnids.

By Blogger Hans the Destroyer, at 7:51 PM  

very nice links to spider sites -it appears that you are correct about the thing being a nursery spider, though it doesn't look like the other two legs are pressed together - perhaps he lost them in the war or something or in a horrible accident with power-tools

By Blogger mysfit, at 12:07 PM  

Honestly, there has been an 'S-Word' stalking me all afternoon. It even had the audacity to touch me!!! And it's one of those one that runs a million miles an hour. Sneaky bastard. Now I keep thinking that I feel it touching me.

What I was going to say is that some spiders limbs modify over time to aid in feeding (yay) or reproduction (double yay) if they are not needed for ambulation. That may be the case with your friend there but I can't bring myself to click the link. I'm still skeered.

Can we pick islands sans spiders?

By Blogger LiVEwiRe, at 9:00 PM  

Post a Comment