<

Friday, October 28, 2005

-From 1984, Chapter One

The Ministry of Love was the really frightening one. There were no windows in it at all. Winston had never been inside the Ministry of Love, nor within half a kilometre of it. It was a place impossible to enter except on official business, and then only by penetrating through a maze of barbed-wire entanglements, steel doors, and hidden machine-gun nests. Even the streets leading up to its outer barriers were roamed by gorilla-faced guards in black uniforms, armed with jointed truncheons.

It's been a while since I've read 1984, but the previous post brought it back to my mind. I read and saw this particular paragraph in a different context than was intended (or perhaps, not, I don't really know). It could be that he meant these lines to be as (anti-) erotic as they are.

2 Comments:

we have this in common. IT's one of my all-time favorite books... which I've read about 30 times. Im exaggerating, but I've read it at least 4 times. Did you just start reading it again? I'll start too if you'll host a discussion. It may be too late though... I have read anything outside of blogland in so long, I'm not sure I remember how to hold a book!

By Blogger I'm not even supposed to be here today, at 10:32 PM  

A discussion is a great idea. I haven't read much lately either, due to a lack--or rather, a deficit--of free time. I'd like to re-read 1984 (for the fifth or sixth time), so I'll let you know if I start to read it again.

By Blogger Skrambled Egghead Reborn, at 1:10 PM  

Post a Comment