<

Thursday, November 10, 2005

The Time Has Come

Yes, my friends, today is The Day. I have officially quit smoking (for about the tenth time or so). I made it past the Worst Part of the Worst Day Ever: The First Morning. Why am I capitalizing random words you ask? Good question, but if you'll stop interrupting me I'll actually be able to get to the heart of the matter. Okay, great, thanks. :-P I'm currently listening to a song called "Where is My Mind", by Pixies, which really suits my nicotine deprived state of mind. Work was a nightmare, of course, because nothing is ever easy, but I won't even get into that shit in this here post.

(By the way, for those who don't know, the band is not called "The Pixies", it's just "Pixies", and since the members of the band aren't fairylike or elfin creatures, calling them the Pixies is wholly inaccurate.)

I happen to be the type of smoker who opens his eyes in the morning and needs to be smoking within thirty seconds or so. Some people who smoke can't imagine having one until at least late morning. I'm not one of those people. When I smoke cigarettes, I smoke a shit-load of cigarettes. As I've said before, there is no middle ground for me. Either I smoke, or I don't. Henceforth (I hope), I Don't.

I'll probably start writing a lot more, to fill the spaces of time held by enjoying luscious, delicious breaths of smoke, *drool*. . .

I'm just kidding, of course. I'm using the nicotine patch, so it's really just the habit that's driving me to want to smoke. I came home to my apartment and noticed the stench of tobacco smoke for the first time. I have some serious cleaning and deodorizing to do. My roommate has agreed to smoke next to the fan near the window, which should help.

At any rate, this is getting boring. Sorry 'bout that. I'll return later with something much more exciting. Perhaps a good rant, or something involving the penis. Hmmm. . .

6 Comments:

Good luck with the non-smoking thing.

But doesn't it sound weird to just say I was listening to Pixies? I mean people start to look at you in a funny way as though you meant little elf-like creatures. So despite knowing that they are simply Pixies I often say the Pixies, but by not capitalising the the everything is okay.

By Blogger Fence, at 5:43 AM  

Excellent point Fence. I guess that people (including myself) mention it because all of their album covers just say Pixies. I was wondering if the same would hold true for the Rolling Stones, but they used the "The" on their album titles (see this link). So I guess we should writing, "I saw The Rolling Stones last night." But we wouldn't say, "I just bought a The Rolling Stones album," would we?

At any rate, I'm still confused I guess.

By Blogger Skrambled Egghead Reborn, at 2:59 PM  

Hey! Congrats on the smoking thing! Or rather, the NOT smoking thing. It is difficult and I think you've really said alot when you commented about the 'habit' of it all. Take your time, don't be too hard on yourself and blog, blog, blog! =) Sounds like you've really put alot of effort into this... good for you!

By Blogger LiVEwiRe, at 10:15 PM  

hey there. how r u, scrambled. back here after a long time. glad to see the posts as great as usual. cheeers!
(do visit my new blog at:
http;//shubhodeep.blogspot.com

And, oh, btw, good luck with the non-smoking!

By Blogger Shubhodeep, at 3:09 PM  

If we get more blogging out of it, it can't be too bad. ;) Good luck with the quitting!

By Blogger Arethusa, at 5:45 PM  

Thanks LW and Heidi. It really does get easier with each passing day.

Shubhodeep, welcome back! It's been a long time. Thanks for the compliments. I've been negelcting the blog a bit lately, but as I've said, the posting should increase soon.

Thanks Arethusa! It's good to hear from you too. I think I should be okay with the non-smoking thing. Once I get past the first few days of quitting, it gets much easier. The trick is not starting again--ever. . .

By Blogger Skrambled Egghead Reborn, at 12:49 AM  

Post a Comment