<

Sunday, October 30, 2005

391st Post in 365 Days

As I sit writing this, the legs of my pants are still wet with salty ocean water, and the unique fragrance of beaches, salt marshes, and woods still clings to my clothes and skin. Today being Daylight Savings Time, I took advantage of the extra hour and the beautiful weather and headed out to Odiorne.

The weather on each of the last few weekends has been rainy and crappy, so I had to get out to snag some pictures (sunlight is crucial for good, full-color pictures, of course), and to try to catch a fish at the Jetty. Through a combination of inland flooding and tidal surge from the hurricanes, the tide was especially high. The normally easy-to-access jetty had waves washing over it, and at certain points I was straddling boulders with waves crashing over me, just to get to the next dry section.

Certain rocks were dry and seemed safe, so I stood and watched the rip-curling-seven-foot waves crashing on the breakers in the distance, but I knew that the water would be heading straight for the jetty I stood upon. I meditated, prayed, became one with the universe, and did whatever other unnameable spiritual things I seem to ascribe to. I started to worry that I might be swallowed up by one of these waves. I saw the awesome power of the Ocean (and the Earth) and was afraid, but another unseen force gave me strength, and guided me, and gave me Courage. For a short time, all the crises of my life faded, and I submitted myself to the Will of the Universe. . .

I didn't end up fishing at all, since the jetty was too dangerous, but I did catch some great pictures. I will be posting pics on Re-Inventing the Wheel throughout the day, as time allows (first pic may not appear for a few hours), and stopping by to visit some blogfriends. I have a lot of catching up to do.

PS--Crap, I just realized that I missed my own blog birthday. Perhaps I'll create a post and back-date it to display on my birthday.

PPS--I just witnessed the absurdity of Blogger's spell-check. It doesn't even have the word "blog" in its dictionary.

2 Comments:

Happy blog birthday!
I love the sea too - I grew up on the Isle of Wight off the south coast of England, impossible to be more than about 12 miles from the sea - the Solent or the English Channel. It's a part of me and the first place I go whenever i return.
It's always special.

By Blogger phylos, at 8:09 PM  

Hey Phylos, thanks for the blog b-day wishes! I justed checked out this map and noticed that you lived close to the namesake for my current hometown, Portsmouth.

When I studied in London in '98, I took a trip to Amsterdam (purely for educational purposes, of course:P). I crossed the Straight of Dover on a ferry, and there was an aweful storm that caused the boat to violently pitch up and down. It's the only time I've been seasick (and it was really bad).

At any rate, the southern coast of England is really beautiful too.

By Blogger Skrambled Egghead Reborn, at 10:49 PM  

Post a Comment