<

Tuesday, January 11, 2005

False Alarm

Okay, so I'm feeling much better today. I'm still feeling a little sluggish, but I don't seem to be getting any sicker. When I woke up I really didn't want to go to work, but I dragged myself here anyways. I'm glad I did, because I'd rather wait until I'm really sick to miss work. It's really slow here today anyways, so I can just lay low and surf the net all day.

Being a news junkie, that means I get to read all kinds of stories that piss me off. Here are is one example:

If this story isn't a sign of desperation, I don't know what is. It's being reported in Newsweek and other news sources that the US governement is considering creating death squads to kidnap and kill people believed to be involved in the insurgency in Iraq. This brilliant strategy is being referred to as the El Salvador Option, after the terror campaign waged by American-trained death squads in Central America in the 1980's.

Doesn't anyone in the Bush Administration think it's a little hypocritical for the US to be engaged in state-sponsored terrorism? Well, I guess if you can defend torture you can defend terrorism too. Is this going to win the hearts and minds of the people in Iraq and the Middle East? No, it won't. Our government is behaving the way tyrants and despots do, and the people there will continue to see that.

The thugs in the Bush Administration are the kings (and queens) of hypocrisy. At the very moment that Bush was talking about how Iraq was better off because Saddam's "rape rooms" were closed, an American soldier or contractor was sticking a foreign object up the ass of a detainee in Abu Ghraib or Guantanomo. They might say that it is to prevent an imminent attack, but that isn't what's going on at all. It's just torture for the sake of torture. Torture as a policy is very un-American, and the damage it has done to America is incalculable.

Speaking of torture, it appears that Alberto Gonzales will be confirmed as the new Attorney General. this will send the message to the world that America is willing to turn a blind eye to human rights abuses. Maybe the Democrats will finally grow some balls and oppose this nomination, but it appears unlikely. This story gives me some hope though.

Okay, that's it for now. I will try to write more later if I have time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment