<

Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Why Haloscan Sucks Ass

I just removed Haloscan comments from my blog. So, the bad news is that we can no longer view the comments left there for the last two weeks. The good news is that all of my old comments in the archive are visible once again.

I installed Haloscan because of Blogger's commenting issues, but I've decided I don't like it very much. You have to pay for premium service in order to have notifications sent to your email address that someone has left a comment. I refuse to pay any money for my blog, so that wasn't going to happen. It may not seem like a big deal, but I regularly get comments on old posts from months ago, and without the email notification I might never notice that one was left.

Another frustration was that Haloscan gives you the option of saving a backup of your old template before installing Haloscan. The link to revert to my old template disappeared, so in order to revert to Blogger comments I had to do some research and to paste code in myself, and remove all the Haloscan codes. Hopefully I didn't fuck my template up.

And lastly, there is no email support available for issues like the one I mentioned above. Just a crappy forum with snotty geeks giving useless replies. All in all, I would definitely not recommend Haloscan.

5 Comments:

Testing, 1,2,3

By Blogger Skrambled Egghead Reborn, at 4:57 PM  

And the comments start flooding back in. In no time at all you'll be overloaded with them. YAY for being popular ;).

By Blogger Hans the Destroyer, at 7:49 PM  

Oh yeah, I just remembered one more thing. Unless you pay for the premium version of Haloscan, all the old comments disappear after four months. That is just total bullshit. I like going back to my old posts specifically to see who was commenting and what they said.

So, you two win the prize for being the first two to comment under the restored settings. Okay, so there's no actual prize, but it means you're extra cool in my book.

By Blogger Skrambled Egghead Reborn, at 8:13 AM  

I think Haloscan sucks too. Your post inspired me to blog about it at my blog here & I started another blog to compile a list of bloggers who feel the same way.

By Blogger 0, at 10:46 PM  

BTW, I noticed a user on their forums named "Skrambled". I'll assume it was you, it was around the same date too. Wow, were they like not trying to see you? You posted in several threads too!

That's why I was really excited when I found your post. I was so frustrated I didn't know what to do. So I decided to write a post. I searched google for "Haloscan Sucks" to see what other people were saying & you were right there at the top.

OH, nice blog too. :P

By Blogger 0, at 12:41 AM  

Post a Comment