<

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Alright Then

I've been a little out of the loop, so I'm a little late on the tagging game unleashed by Livewire. But I've decided to join in the fun anyways (seeing as all the cool kids are doing it). I don't usually go for the tagging games because then I feel obligated to write something I might not feel like writing about. However, this is a good one, so I'll have at it. Here goes:


A Lifetime

10 years ago: I was a seventeen year old kid who never thought he'd live past age 25. I knew everything that I needed to know about the world, and I was invincible. It would be a few years before I realized how wrong I was about those things. I'm pretty sure that I was painting houses during the summer, getting paid very little to stand atop 30 foot ladders with bees circling my head and stinging me. Other than that, I don't remember much. I do remember that I had a horrible fake i.d. which somehow worked all the time, so I spent a good deal of time drinking myself into oblivion. Ironically (or prophetically), it had a fake address on it that--if I remember correctly--was for an address about five minutes from where I now live.

5 years ago: Five years ago I had just graduated college and was having a hard time finding a good job. I ended up getting a job during the summer doing data entry for a financial firm in Hartford. I worked with this sexy Jamaican girl named Jacquie who taught me some cool words, like "bumbaclot." There was also an older woman there who sat right next to me. One day she got a phone call from someone telling her that her brother had just been brutally murdered. Her name was Francine, if I remember correctly, and as I think about that day I can still hear the sound of her crying, screaming, and sobbing when she heard the news.

1 year ago: Having recently moved to New Hampshire, I was working for a temp agency. They ended up sending me on an assignment to work for the trash company in the customer service department. It was a surreal (and awful) experience. For about three months I answered over a hundred calls a day from old ladies who were angry about their trash being picked up late. My favorite calls would be the ones from people saying that their dumpsters stink. What the hell did they expect? At any rate, I'll never be rude to a customer service rep on the phone again after that ordeal (unless they ask for it).

Yesterday: I spent most of day studying for the real estate license exam, but I found that I was making slow progress. I didn't get nearly as far as I wanted to, so I may end up having to push the exam date back by a week, which is just fine. Other than that, I didn't do very much.

Today: I had a pretty good day. I wrote a first draft of a marketing piece for a multi-million dollar property. On Friday I was having a hard time coming up with anything, but I was able to do a pretty good job on it today. I had a million small problems to deal with other than that, but nothing too stressful.

Tomorrow: I'm going a business trip to Boston. Should be exciting (not). I'll probably get stuck in a traffic nightmare, which is fairly typical of Boston.

5 snacks I enjoy: Doritos (favorite snack of tyrants), Crackers and extra sharp cheddar cheese, ice cream sandwiches, Oreos, and wasabi peas.

5 songs I know all the words to: Jammin' by Bob Marley, Graceland by Paul Simon, Me and My Uncle by the Grateful Dead, Baby Bitch by Ween, and Lost Cause by Beck.

5 things I would do with $100,000,000: As stated in a previous post, I would have a party on my own private island in the Carribean and fly out all of my blogfriends to come to it. I would also pay off my credit card bills (which wouldn't leave very much money), then I'd pay off the bills for all of my friends and family, then I would find some worthwhile charities (I don't know which, there are so many), and finally, I would settle down on my private island and live off the interest.

5 locations I'd like to run away to: Hawaii, New Zealand, Amsterdam, London, Telluride.

5 bad habits I have: Scratching or "adjusting" myself at inappropriate moments (hey, sometimes it gets pointed in an uncomfortable direction), smoking (well, actually, I have a bad habit of quiting for years and then starting again), procrastination, falling in love with the wrong kind of women, and possibly excessive autoeroticism (*ahem*).

5 things I like doing: Since I already touched on masturbation (pun intended) in the previous one I'll say sex with a real live woman, camping, hiking, mountain biking, and trout fishing.

5 things I would never wear: A thong, real fur, spandex, a bow tie (unless wearing a tuxedo), and a vest made from real gorilla chest (yeah, I know, sort of goes with real fur, but I ran out of ideas).

5 T.V. shows I like: The Simpsons, Seinfeld, The Daily Show, 60 Minutes, 24

5 movies I like: Pi, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Memento, Garden State, and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

5 famous people I'd like to meet: Jon Stewart, President Bush (so I could talk some sense into him), Bono, Gwen Stefani, and Maria Sharapova.

5 biggest joys at the moment: I've been too stressed out and depressed to experience joy. I have nothing for this category at the moment.

5 favorite toys: No time for toys at the moment, I'm too busy.

5 people to tag: Anyone who hasn't yet done one of these. You know who you are.

7 Comments:

it sucks that you are too stressed and depressed to experience joy. really. maybe you should shove off to one of your get-aways for a few days? post pictures if you decide to go :). seriously, take it easy, dude. stress+depression=nofun. for you or anyone else.

By Blogger girlgrey, at 4:18 PM  

Thanks heidi. I thought this one was cool. Writing it made me dig up some stuff that I haven't thought about in years.

Girlgrey, so good to hear from you again! I think I was just too lazy to come up with answers for "greatest joys". I'm actually pretty happy for the most part, so no worries. ;-)

By Blogger Skrambled Egghead Reborn, at 9:10 PM  

I second Beelzebabe's comment. Private island party!

By Blogger Hans the Destroyer, at 1:20 AM  

Beelze and Hans, I can't wait either. I think we may need to just arm ourselves to the teeth and take over an island somewhere. Anyone know where we can get some heavy artillery?

By Blogger Skrambled Egghead Reborn, at 10:02 AM  

Jenn, you're right, it is an awesome word. I use it all the time.

By Blogger Skrambled Egghead Reborn, at 6:33 PM  

I knew I liked you for a reason.... now I have like, 57 more! Funny thing is I don't do these either, but I liked that it really made me think. Glad you did it; you have an amazing memory, too. Uh, yeah dumpsters stink... wonder if there was a face peering up as well. And your bad habits are just a shade or two off from some of mine, too. I enjoyed reading this and I'm so glad you made an exception.

By Blogger LiVEwiRe, at 1:03 AM  

livewire, thanks for putting it out there. This was a good writing exercise. Plus, it saved me the trouble of coming up with something to write about on my own. ;-).

By Blogger Skrambled Egghead Reborn, at 4:25 PM  

Post a Comment