<

Friday, January 14, 2005

It's the Little Things that Count



I don't have anything profound to write about at the moment, so I'll just write about something stupid. Yesterday I conquered the fax machine where I work. A couple of months ago, something happened in my office that became known as "The Toner Incident." Since then I have been unwilling to touch the fax machine anytime that goddamn red light has been flashing.

That incident taught to me the value of reading the instructions first. Now, mind you, I'm usually pretty good with various technological devices, and I'm not afraid to take the printer, copier, et al apart if I need to. So when the toner ran out last time I was like, "Oh, I'll just replace it." Bad idea. To make a long story short, I didn't know what I was doing and I ended up spilling black, powdery toner all over the floor and walls surrounding the fax machine. It was quite a disaster, and I was more than a little embarrassed.

I was working late last night and I was waiting for an important contract to come in. I noticed that the toner was out, and I was like, "Aw fuck," because I was the only one left in the office. I was tempted to just pretend I didn't see that and go home for the night, but I had to get the contract that was coming in. So this time I followed the instructions and I actually managed to do it without fucking it up (that I know of).

As I was working on it I was reminded of that scene in Office Space where they take the fax machine out into a field and destroy it gangsta style with baseball bats as the music of the Ghetto Boys plays(I think that's who it was). Man, that would be awesome. I guess it's sort of pathetic that I can get excited over fixing a fax machine, but I'll take any victory I can get.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment