<

Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Dirty Old Man

Well, I don't have a whole lot to tallk about at the moment, so I'll just give a quick update about my love life. Some of you may remember me doing a good deal of whining last week about lingering feelings for the ex-girlfriend, but I'm feeling much better now. I think that episode was precipitated by Valentine's Day and by her going on a first date with someone new. I was feeling really depressed, but I'm starting to get over it.

I actually just started talking to someone, but she is really young for me (21 years old). She seems to be pretty mature for her age, so I'm thinking we could make it work. Would I be a dirty old man for dating a girl seven and a half years younger than me? I don't know what to think. I know it feels good to be talking to someone new, and she seems like a good girl. I'd like to hear what my readers would think about that.

Other than that I don't have much to say. I suppose it's a good thing, because when I'm ranting about politics or whatever it's usually because I'm pissed off about something. I would appreciate any comments or advice on the age issue, as I'm trying to figure out if I should go forward with this.

I shall return later if possible.

6 Comments:

I would certainly not consider you a dirty old man. Plenty of people who are married are 10 or more years apart. once you get up there in the 10's it can get a little more creepy, but 7 isn't so bad. and she's 21. she's a capable woman and can decide for herself if it would be comfortable or not for her. age shouldn't matter, unless someone is under legal age and something like rape might enter into the situation. if you really do like her, and she seems mature for her age, and she in turn likes you, i see no reason it shouldn't work, or that you shouldn't at least try.

By Blogger Laura, at 1:37 PM  

Yes. 7 years isn't much. When you're both in your fifties you'll hardly notice it. (heh!) (sorry!)

Go for it!

By Blogger Roger Stevens, at 6:19 PM  

If in fact you may actually find a person that you are interested in, or they are interested in you, or neither of you is frightfully unsettling... well, age doesn't seem to be a big deal, really.

Since you are bringing up the subject, it may be something for you to look at a little closer. Age does not matter if each of you does not expect the other to change to behave on their level.

If you feel comfortable just go with it and see what happens. I mean, you didn't meet her at Chuck E. Cheese's, did you?

By Blogger LiVEwiRe, at 10:15 PM  

Food for thought... would I be a dirty old woman if we dated? I'm 34. Just wondering if that makes it better or creepier. And choose your words carefully... I'm fragile. =)

By Blogger LiVEwiRe, at 10:18 PM  

What to say, what to say? I think you ought to expect a bitter comment out of me amidst many a positive and encouraging comment by now. But mine is also relatively positive. Though there are certain obvious exceptions- the cliche "age is just a number" for the most part remains true. And love is love no matter what age you are. I say go for it, if you don't then you'll never know what you might have missed out on. One word of warning if you are in it for the long-haul: make sure your plans/ideals/whatnot match up, as that can be a problem with age gaps in relationships. So, dirty old man? Nah, not REALLY ;). And I agree with Roger Stevens, later on age will become even less of an issue.

By Blogger Hans the Destroyer, at 10:53 PM  

Holy crap. I didn't expect to get so many replies. Many thanks to all for the advice. You all seem to agree with what I was thinking, so I don't feel so weird about it.

It's worth a shot anyways. It'll be fun, even if we end up deciding it isn't the best thing. I need some excitement in my life.

By Blogger Skrambled Egghead Reborn, at 11:42 PM  

Post a Comment