<

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Sick and Twisted Story of the Day

I've decided to make an effort to search the web for various offbeat stories so I'll have something to write about other than politics. I can get pretty fired up about political matters, but it tends to get my blood pressure dangerously high. I think I need a bit of comic relief, even if it's something that's not necessarily amusing, but perhaps disturbing and wrong. We'll see how this goes, but I'm going to try to make it a daily feature: Sick and Twisted Story of the Day.

Here is my first installment **(I just realized registration is required for that. I'll paste the story below). It seems that someone in Lexington, Kentucky was a little angry about a recently imposed ban on smoking in enclosed public spaces. So, he did what any good citizen would do. He sent a letter to his public official expressing his outrage. However, he went one step further and also took a shit in the envelope before mailing it. I guess that's one way to get your point across (that is, if the point you're trying to make is that you're completely insane).

I would tend to agree that people are getting a little bit carried away with the anti-smoking agenda. Smokers are subjected to all sorts of prejudice and are treated like second class citizens in this country. But I don't really think it's asking a lot to prohibit people from smoking in the library or post office where non-smokers have to choke on the fumes. Besides, mailing shit to a public official is just uncalled for (unless maybe if that official lives on Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington D.C...hmmmm...that gives me an idea...).

At any rate, that's all I'm going to offer for commentary on that one. I've also decided to start posting "Penises in the News" at least once a week, simply because I have a juvenile sense of humor and way too much time on my hands. Nothing new to report at the moment, but stay tuned and I should have something good within the next couple of days.

** Here is the AP story from above:

Associated Press


LEXINGTON, Ky. - A harassment complaint has been filed with police after an aide found fecal matter in an envelope addressed to the vice mayor.

The envelope was one of two that contained harassing materials, according to a report filed Friday with Lexington police. The envelopes also contained a letter from someone complaining about the city's ban on smoking in enclosed public places.

Lexington police declined to comment about the contents of the letter, but Lt. James Curless said officers are investigating. Curless said police think both envelopes were sent by the same person.

The harassing letter - which had no return address - was discovered Friday by Lena Campbell, an aide who opens all of Vice Mayor Mike Scanlon's mail.

Council members routinely receive phone calls, letters, e-mails and faxes from Lexington residents upset about an issue or the way someone voted, but this communication crossed the line, Scanlon said.

"An angry letter is not that big a surprise," he said. "This was just a very, very sick person."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment