<

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Nightmares

Wow, I just awoke from one of the craziest dreams I've ever had. I don't remember the timeline, so I'm not sure if it was one dream or several with breaks in between, but I wanted to write it down before I forget completely. It was the kind of dream that felt real and I couldn't wake up from, even though it was so far out there. I'll write it down as one dream, but I'm not sure of the sequence of events, so it may have been in a different order.

For part of the dream I was at an abandoned house made of concrete in the forest of Wintergreen Woods. Wintergreen was down the street from the house I grew up in, and I spent the better part of my youth running around the woods. I was with my brother, who had bought the concrete house for around $1000, not realizing that it was a SuperFund site that was a toxic waste dump.

At some point in the dream, we were elsewhere and heard news that a storm had knocked the house down. So, we tried to get back to it, but there was an awful storm raging and flooding had filled the streets with water. So, we waded in the water to get to it. As we began to swim I noticed a large snake sitting on a branch on the edge of the water, and as we continued to swim I could see snakes everywhere in the water--big, thick, huge fucking snakes. As I swam I could feel them brushing up against my legs.

Somehow, I managed not to get too freaked out by the snakes and we made it to shore. At some point later my brother and I were in a canoe trying to get to the remnants of the concrete house at the toxic waste dump site. We docked our canoe somewhere, but after we did so it was quickly swept away by the raging flood waters. I tried to jump in the water to catch it, but then I remembered the snakes and thought better of it.

There was a gap, but a short time later I was walking in the woods with my brother, when all of a sudden we passed a group of people walking through the woods. The group included Paris Hilton and Nicole Ritchie. As Paris walked by she gave me a seductive look and said "Hi M." I remember looking at my brother and asking him if he saw the way she was looking at me, and I felt proud that she knew me. I was like, "Hmmm, I didn't even know that she knew me. Imagine that."

After we rounded a corner I found myself indoors in either a museum or an art gallery. I was looking at some stunning images, wishing that I had my camera with me. I went into a different room and realized that I actually did have my camera with me, so I returned to the previous room but found that it had changed and the picture I wanted to take was gone. Then, my grandmother appeared and I was trying to take her picture. As I tried to do so a child of about 9 or 10 years kept running in front of my camera so I couldn't take a picture. The last time he ran in front of the camera I shoved him out of my way in a fit of rage, and immediately realized that I lost my temper and went too far. As I waited to be acosted by the boy's angry parent, I suddenly awoke.


Okay, that was it. I just wanted to write this all down before I forget completely. I've had psychic dreams in the past, so I'm curious to see if any of this was a premonition.

4 Comments:

No fun, no fun at all. And if Paris and Nicole would show up during my slumber, it would indeed count as a nightmare... snakes or no snakes...

By Blogger LiVEwiRe, at 1:14 PM  

One of my earliest memories is a dream too. I used to have this recurring dream that a seven foot tall white ghost with a shepherd's crook was chasing my brother, my grandmother, and me around my grandmother's garden. I remember there being these crazy mutant eggplants in the garden each time. The ghost always caught my brother.

And livewire, I agree about that. I do think Paris is pretty hot, but I do think she is pure evil. Maybe she and Nicole were personifications of the snakes.

I've read that all dreams are subjective, but that water always means something. Particularly the context of the water (calm and clear, rough, muddy, etc.) is significant. And snakes must mean something bad.

By Blogger Skrambled Egghead Reborn, at 2:11 PM  

Ah nonsensical nightmares.
I'm actually just reading about dreams in psych (heh, here comes the overanalyzation of the bloggers- as you promised). Anyway, I thought the most entertaining theory about symbolism in dreams was freud's theory that anything "stick-like" was a subconscious phallic reference- and I'd say snakes would qualify :). Also, another random tidbit- we don't think dreams are nonsensical because the area of our brain that controls logic is shut off, whereas other areas experience heightened activity, that's why we hardly ever question strange circumstances in dreams.

By Blogger Hans the Destroyer, at 6:42 PM  

Wow, Heidi. That was good. I think you're probably right on the money with your analysis.

And Hansy, SEE, I TOLD YOU!!! As far as the snakes being phallic, Freud also said, "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar." But I am fascinated by the part about the logical part of the brain. Cool stuff, makes sense to me.

By Blogger Skrambled Egghead Reborn, at 11:26 PM  

Post a Comment