<

Saturday, February 05, 2005

Spreading the Disease

I was just reading this column by Ellen Goodman which I can really identify with after being somewhat ill for the last few days. I went to work despite having a fever and being so wiped out that I had to leave early two days in a row. I started working in my present position a short time ago. I still have temporary status, so if I call in sick, I don't get paid.

I basically have to decide if I'm willing to pay hundreds of dollars to stay home in bed. I rarely get sick enough to have to stay home, but it shouldn't come down to economics if I have something that could get the whole office ill.

Goodman makes a really good point about the fact that most waiters and waitresses don't have sick days in America. Kinda scary, isn't it? Most don't have health insurance either. I know I'd rather not have sick people handling and breathing on my food.

At any rate, I'm gradually starting to feel better. I drove down to Connecticut for the weekend to see the family, but I'll probably be heading home late tonight. It's 51°F right now, and it feels like summer since it's been so cold. I think I'll take a walk...

2 Comments:

Gotta say that, of all employees, waiting folk need to talk their sick days off. Well, the kitchen staff too. I mean it may only be a mild infection, but I still don't want your germs on my food, never mind what it is doing to yourself.

Was some reseach done that said if people took that initial day off work it would actually work out better for whatever company employed them, after all, it means your body can recover quickly so that you don't feel ill for the next week, not to mention the fact that your co-workers are less likely to take sick and so need days off. (wow, long comment or what, I'll shut-up now)

By Blogger Fence, at 5:59 AM  

I don't mind the long comment at all. I have a habit of leaving long comments myself. I think I did hear about that study you mentioned. It's just common sense that you shouldn't come in to work when your sick, but I know I can't afford to go without pay for days on end.

By Blogger Skrambled Egghead Reborn, at 12:32 PM  

Post a Comment