<

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Shiny Objects

Ugh. Once again I have been sickened by the news. This time, however, it wasn't the actual news that bothered me. It was the fact that the mainstream press is actually reporting the "flip-flop 'contorversy'" as if it was an important story. They'll start calling it flip-flop-gate pretty soon.

While I hate to even dignify this nonsense by mentioning it in my blog, I can't just sit quietly while the mainstream media creates a synthetic controversy to distract people from the real controversies.

And don't even get me started on how Bush's announcement of John Roberts as his nominee for the Supreme Court. The announcement was made a week earlier than was expected. There is no doubt in my mind that they made the announcement early to take the media heat off of Karl Rove. This is the way they manipulate the media. It's just despicable. (UPDATE: I just saw this article after I posted this. I rest my case.)

People, for the most part, can be stupid and easily distracted. Most will be more likely to keep watching the four minute segment on some girls wearing flip-flops in the White House than if there was a story on. . .oh, I don't know, let's say Iraq (look at the pie charts on the right. They are based on conservative estimates, and those lowball figures indicate that were 1,284 children killed in that time period.) I feel sick...


Okay, I'm done venting. (Note to Self: STOP WATCHING THE NEWS!!!) I have to hit the books now. Good night all.

2 Comments:

Honestly, I don't watch the news much anymore. Well, I suppose I go in phases. It disturbs the little sleep I tend to get anyway. Stats don't jive and tales are told... sometimes it is too difficult to try to figure out where the truth really is.

By Blogger LiVEwiRe, at 11:09 PM  

I never watch the news... instead I read blogs, many political, and from very different viewpoints. I feel that at least these bloggers care... and right or wrong, they have passion. I think it gives me a better perspective than any news show could. At least bloggers ADMIT they are biased!!

By Blogger I'm not even supposed to be here today, at 4:57 PM  

Post a Comment