<

Tuesday, February 08, 2005

This is Why You Hide the Keys

I was just reading this story about a four-year-old who drove to the store and back in the middle of the night.

When I was four my family went on a camping trip with a pop-up trailer camper. When we got to the camping area, my father parked on top of a large hill and began to unhitch the trailer. I was sitting in the van in the drivers seat playing race car driver (playing with the steering wheel, making race car noises, etc.). All of a sudden I grabbed the shifter and pulled downward, putting the van into neutral. The van started rolling backwards with the trailer still attached and almost ran over my father, who made an unsucessful attempt to stop the van. The van started rolling towards a ravine when someone else must have jumped in to save me (I was too young to remember, and I forget how the story goes). Luckily no one got hurt--most especially me--but it became known as the day I almost killed my father.

3 Comments:

Hello. Not really related except that it involves someone with keys who should not have had them:

When I was young, we had a neighbor with twin girls, about 3. They were playing in the car while the mother unloaded groceries. The story is that one of the girls was on the floor board and the other in the seat. Somehow they started the car, depressed the brake (to allow the gearshift to be moved from "park") and rolled the car down the street, in reverse. They hit another neighbors house and one of the twins got out. The car moved some more and she got "run over." I was young, so I don't remember more details than that, but it seems I would remember her dying. I don't remember if she died or not, but they did move shortly after this event.

By Blogger tiedyejeremy, at 3:05 PM  

hm...this story is somewhat unrelated as well, but it involves me being roughly 4, camping, and cars:

my family went on a camping trip with a bunch of other families once, and between the campground and the beach was a four lane highway (why that was, i have no idea). so one day i decided i really wanted to go to the beach. we were eating though, and no one would take me. so i guess i wandered off on my own, crossed the four lane highway by myself (cars and all) and made it to the beach. they couldn't find me for a while then found me playing happily near the water, shoving sand in my mouth (i was weird...i ate sand by the fistful...). so anyway, little tale of of me surviving in the face of danger i guess. haha!

By Blogger Laura, at 4:31 PM  

Geez, your parents must have been worried sick, and relieved that you survived your game of Frogger.

You don't still eat sand, do you? I was reading something recently about a condition called Pica, or geophagia. People with Pica compulsively eat non-food items (dirt and clay are the most common). The person they were referring to was a mother who ate her child's crayons (and not just one at a time either----whole boxes at once). I guess it happens a lot with people with autism, but it's seen in (relatively;-) normal people as well. I thought it was fascinating.

By Blogger Skrambled Egghead Reborn, at 10:39 AM  

Post a Comment